Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Vacation and a Wedding



D and I spent last week here...NYC!


We went because of these two wonderful people.  They were married in the Manhattan temple.  
We were so excited to be there for them. It was beautiful!  
Congrats my Brother and his new bride!

Since I had never been to New York City and my whole family with us:
all my brothers, sister in law and my parents,
we made it into a wonderful, busy, sightseeing vacation.
8 day, 7 nights...the kiddos stayed home with Grandma.

We did things like...


Took my first subway ride.
Probably looked like the biggest idiot trying to figure out the ticket machine and where we needed to go,
but we survived and best of all there were no muggings...yay!


We saw an amazing view from the Top of the Rock.


I only had my phone so no amazing pictures were taken...but I thought this was a funny view.
The weather was 90 degrees and almost 100% humidity and being 6 months prego, I spent as much time sitting where I could.


We paid our respects to Lady Liberty via a water taxi. 
She is amazing to see!


Checked out Wall street.  
On a Saturday this place is dead...the whole financial district was a ghost town expect for the tourists.


We also took a quick 5 hour drive with my parents and brother down to the capital.
Good to know about the east coast...it costs money to drive on the highway.  
We probably paid $40 in tolls from NYC to Washington DC.
Jeez...next time we'll take a train.

We took a wonderful bus tour of DC. 
Still a lot of walking but a least I could have a little a/c break once in a while.

First stop...


The Capital Building.
Next...World War II Memorial.


I heard this is beautiful at night.  
When we come back we'll have to check out all these sites at night.


The Washington Monument. 
Interesting..this is the tallest building in DC.
It is beautiful. 
And I love how it is the center of all the important monuments and buildings.


Then we stopped and saw this guy
Thomas Jefferson.
D and I sat and talked about the architecture.  Are those columns Ionic or Doric?
It brought me back to my art history days...loved it.


President Lincoln.
Bigger in real life.
I enjoyed how most people are real quiet around these memorials,
lets you really be able to take it in.


Ended the day at the White house.
This was way smaller than I thought. 
Who would of thought that 55,000 sq. ft. would be smaller in person.
I think the Obama's were out of town.
By the end my feet were ready to fall off.  
And we had only just begun to see DC...so we will definitely be going back again.

There are many favorite things about this trip,
but the top of the list by far was spending time with my hubby.
Life is busy and we don't have much alone time anymore.
Eight whole days was awesome!
 I am so excited for my brother Jake! I hope that he can have that in his life now.
Nothing beats a vacation with your best friend.
Amazing trip!

1 comment:

P Kirkwood said...

That was exactly how I felt: a vacation with my hubby. Everything was so awesome, but spending time with Brandon was the best.